The following changes took effect beginning with the 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®):
- You are able to submit your FAFSA® earlier. You can file your 2018–19 FAFSA as early as Oct. 1, 2017, rather than beginning on Jan. 1, 2018. The earlier submission date is a permanent change, enabling you to complete and submit a FAFSA as early as October 1 every year.
- You’ll use earlier income and tax information. You are now required to report income and tax information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2018–19 FAFSA, you—and your parent(s), as appropriate—will report your 2016 income and tax information, rather than your 2017 income and tax information.
- Click here for an excellent resource: FAFSA® Early Submission Changes for 2017-18 (Prior Prior Year)
How GRASP Can Help
1. Our GRASP Advisors are in 76 schools and will help you with the FAFSA. Contact your school counselor to set an appointment.
2. In the Richmond area? Advisors will be at Belmont Library on Wednesday evenings from 6:00-8:00. Call (804) 527-7772 to set an appointment.
3. Your school may have a FAFSA workshop in the evening or on a weekend. Contact your school counseling department or view our GRASP event calendar to find a workshop near you.
4. Contact Anne Michie, Director of Advising, at email@example.com for additional assistance.