The FAFSA Deadlines are Changing This Year
Starting with the 2017–18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), these changes will be in effect:
- You’ll be able to submit your FAFSA® earlier. You can file your 2017–18 FAFSA as early as Oct. 1, 2016, rather than beginning on Jan. 1, 2017. The earlier submission date will be a permanent change, enabling you to complete and submit a FAFSA as early as October 1 every year.
- You’ll use earlier income and tax information. Beginning with the 2017–18 FAFSA, you will be required to report income and tax information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017–18 FAFSA, you—and your parent(s), as appropriate—will report your 2015 income and tax information, rather than your 2016 income and tax information.
- Click here for an excellent resource: FAFSA® Early Submission Changes for 2017-18 (Prior Prior Year)
How GRASP Can Help
1. Our GRASP Advisors are in 76 schools and will help you with the FAFSA. Contact your school counselor to set an appointment.
2. In the Richmond area? Advisors will be at Belmont Library on Monday evenings from 6:00-8:00. Call (804) 527-7772 to set an appointment.
3. Your school may have a FAFSA workshop in the evening or on a weekend. Contact your school counseling department or view our GRASP event calendar to find a workshop near you.
4. Contact Anne Michie, Director of Advising, at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.